The roof of your building not only provides security and shelter, but it is part of your overall investment. Poor roofing can negatively impact the value of your building, so you should get thorough inspections done at least once a year. You may want to get them done more frequently if you live in areas where the weather is harsher.
It is important to understand that roofing damage can be caused from within, so this is a good place to start your inspection. Poor insulation can allow humidity which can cause structural damage. It is a good idea to add extra insulation to protect from humidity and this also helps to lower your energy bills throughout the year.
The exterior inspection can be done yourself, or by using binoculars to just get a more general idea of any damage. Using the checklist below, you can evaluate if any repairs are needed, and then the professionals can be called in. The important things to look out for include:
- Curling or cracked shingles around the edges of the roof, where they are more prone to lift and wear
- Buildup of debris along the surface and at the edges which can interfere with proper water drainage
- Watch for moss and algae growth. Algae are more cosmetic, but moss could indicate the presence of rot below the surface
- Sealant cracks along the vents, skylights, and flashing
- Blistering which identifies problems with insulation as well as material defects
- Loose, broken or missing shingles leave exposed spaces, so need to be repaired or replaced immediately
After the inspection is complete, you may feel that there is substantial work that is needed. You should call in a professional to look over the interior and exterior of your roofing system. This will ensure that nothing gets missed. Smaller repairs such as cracked shingles can be handled by you, but other repairs and replacement is best handled by a professional contractor.
Please contact us today to schedule a roofing inspection and consultation for any repairs or roofing work needed. We guarantee honest and efficient service and can accurately determine what needs to be done to get the most out of your roof. We understand that roofing is an investment and we want to help you get the most for your time and money.